As you might know already, when I am not designing awesome websites and logos, I am working as an EMT saving the world! (Well.. maybe I'm being a bit dramatic) Nevertheless, working as an EMT on the night shift takes a toll on the body and mind, and really has limited the amount of design work I am able to do effectively and creatively. Luckily, I had the fortune some time ago to lift a patient that was over 300 pounds, which resulted in me getting a gnarly double hernia. Yes, I said luckily! Due to this injury, I have been able to free my schedule, and open up to new clients for design jobs. I haven't worked an EMT shift all summer, instead I've been doing graphic work for old and new clients along with my ambulance company. While I just underwent surgery last week, and feeling awesomely loopy due to prescription narcotics… I'm truly stoked because I've had time to update my business plan and develop more ways to provide excellent customer service!
Changes I've made on my website!
- Under skills, I have listed website design, logo design, and print design.
- Website Design Page: This page now includes a step by step process explaining how I design your website, what services I can include in your website development, what coding and technical knowledge I have at my disposal. The website page also has a link to my website design portfolio.
- Logo Design Page: Now clearly explains the logo design process, and what you receive as a customer for the end result. It explains that the process starts with drafts, and through constant customer feedback, the logos are developed further. I also included a link from this page to my logo and print portfolio.
- Print Design Page: This page now lists all the print designs I have ability to create.. from booklets to flyers! It has a step by step list explaining my process for design. I also included a link from this page to my logo and print portfolio.
- Under portfolio pages, I have split the website design and logo/print design section. Now there are uploads from my 2013 designs, and this page will also be updated after EVERY design is completed with a current client!
Changes I've made to my business!
- We are ZOHO INTEGRATED! Working with other clients who prefer ZOHO project management, has opened my eyes to this awesome platform for streamlining your business. Now Barton Designs uses ZOHO invoicing and timekeeping for all of it's design projects! With this, clients are able to finally get legitimate invoices to refer for the books at the end of their fiscal year. Before this, my clients unfortunately did not have a consistent billing method. This is a step towards professionalism that we are excited about taking.
- Also, you'll notice I'm typing "we" a bit more… Yes, it's not my bad english skillz.. It just means I'm brining on partners from time to time to help out with certain projects. While I'm a boss at SEO, I've got some colleagues who do nothing but that, and I refer out and collaborate work with them at times.
- Customer Feedback Surveys, Yelp, and Angie's List! In effort to constantly be improving, after every project, I submit a customer feedback survey to get every clients honest input. I then take all those answer, meditate and pray on them until I can apply them and become a better designer to you! Help me out on YELP: http://www.yelp.com/biz/barton-designs-hayward-2 I've only got 2 measly reviews!
- I'm getting cultured! The graphic design community is growing and beautiful. I'm listening to new podcasts every week from other designers. Wes McDowel, Graphic River and Design Cast are programs that I follow weekly! I'm reading the latest .NET and web design magazines so I can stay ahead of the game and bring my clients the best websites possible! I"m all about staying fresh and up to date… Nothing irks me more to see someone claiming to be an awesome freelance designer, but they hold the same 3 designs from 1995 in the portfolio. Currently I'm reading "Just my Type", a book on typefaces and awesomeness.
- Also, I'm doing all my wire framing and UI design through www.thedesignapp.com… A wonderful free resource for project development along with a team.
- We are using www.hightail.com to send large files!
- I can take payments on PayPal.. kinda late on that train!
- Also, I am updating my facebook page and keeping it loaded with all my new content! www.facebook.com/bartondesigns
- I offer the same fair design rate for all customers! Also, now customers all have to sign a contract no matter what!
- And lastly… I'm a paid member and student of www.codeschool.com…. the coolest, best, funnest, more efficient way to become a better coder! I'm learning the in's and outs of HTML5, CSS3, JAVA, RUBY, PYTHON, C++, iOS, ANDROID SDK, CoCOA.. YEAH!!! [~Im almost to the point where I can see you in 1's and 0's… and you look pretty :) ~}]